Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 96 14:27:55 PDT
From:      dneum@telelink.com (Dean Neumann)
To:        scanner@webspan.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID systems for freebsd

On Tue Jun 4 1996,  Chris Watson <scanner@webspan.net> said:
>  [text ommitted...]
> Thats my problem
> freebsd doesnt have any raid controllers supported that i know of now.
> Im sure there on their way but i cant wait, the "higher ups" want it now.
> and i REALLY dont want to have any foreign OS trash on ym perfect little
> fbsd lan :)
>  [text ommitted...]

I can't comment on FreeBSD specifically, but we cross-develop onto a
target platform which runs a (non-UNIX) real-time OS, and I wanted RAID
support on that platform, so I too faced a driver availability issue.
I chose to use RAID contollers from CMD Technology Inc.  (1-800-426-3832)
because they have a line of RAID controllers for which I did not
require any special drivers.  The controller itself slides into a
half-height drive bay and connects to the SCSI bus.  It then has
multiple drives connected onto it's output SCSI bus (or buses).	 We
used the OS's existing SCSI drivers and configured the OS to believe it had
1 logical SCSI drive, and the fact that the RAID controller was
intercepting the SCSI commands and writing the data to different
physical drives was entirely transparent to the OS.  It works like a
charm.	Perhaps this solution will work for you as well.

Good luck.

Dean Neumann
TeleLink Technologies Inc.
dneumann@telelink.com