Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 16:54:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org, aturetta@stylo.it, michaelh@cet.co.jp
Subject:   Automatic PPP-detecting getty and pppd!!!

Okay all of you who have been wanting a way to get around loading "Microsoft
Dial Up Scripting" on your Windows 95 boxes...  now FreeBSD can detect a PPP
session inside getty, and deal with it appropriately!  "Cooooool!"

My setup assumes use of kernel PPP, and assumes you have "options" and
"options.ttyXX" set up so that the "ppplogin" script doesn't have to deal
with it.  The "ppplogin" script is arbitrary and can be modified to suit
local policies.

pppd has been modified to update utmp and wtmp and note an automatic PPP
login by setting the "from/host" field to ":PPP".

getty has been modified with a "pp=" capability to enable automatic PPP
detection, and will pass off PPP sessions to this program instead of
/usr/bin/login.

I do not yet have patches available.  I pulled the -current sources and
built them under 2.1R, there were some /usr/include headaches that I brute
forced my way through.  I would like to submit patches for both -current and
-stable (if it still exists).  There is a binary tarball pointer below.

To use this:

Add the following to your gettytab...

[....]
std.115200|115200-baud:\
        :np:sp#115200:

ppp.115200|115200-baud:\
        :np:sp#115200:pp=/usr/local/libexec/ppplogin:

This is a PPP-autodetect enabled getty entry.

Add the following to your ttys...

[...]
#
ttyc0   "/usr/libexec/getty ppp.115200" unknown on
ttyc1   "/usr/libexec/getty ppp.115200" unknown on
[...]

We are using Cyclades cards, you can of course modify to be "ttyd0" or
whatever.  We are also running at 115200, which is of course arbitrary.

Now, SAVE YOUR OLD /usr/libexec/getty AND /usr/sbin/pppd EXECUTABLES.

FTP to ftp://ftp.freebsd.sol.net/pub/alpha/pppgetty.tar.gz and extract it.

You should be ready to rock and roll!  Bear in mind that you need to set up
and configure pppd, but that is an exercise I will leave up to you.

We've been using it here with zero problems for several days..

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968