Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 14:40:02 -0600
From:      Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        core@FreeBSD.ORG, core@netbsd.org, cgd@netbsd.org, ross@netbsd.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Copyright infringement in FreeBSD/alpha

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>  wrote:
 > I furthermore think that the policy which I've outlined is a good one
 > given that it's also applicable to a far greater category of potential
 > conflicts than copyright issues alone, I myself never having seen the
 > point of publicly airing *any* type of dispute between the *BSDs given
 > that it only hands additional ammunition to various mutual competitors
 > who are already more than sufficiently armed as it is, thank you.  If
 > we get a vote here, and I'm hoping that we're discussing your proposal
 > as a potential option rather than an externally imposed mandate, then
 > we'd prefer to vote for exercising simple common sense in the future
 > rather than adopting additional constraints on our communications.

If that's how you need to have it handled in the future, then that's
fine by me.  I was hoping to have all such issues in the future
filtered through a small group of people who are able to act in
an appropriate and business-like fashion.  The sort of flying around
(nowhere near the handle, so to speak) that happened in the last couple
of days is just a PR disaster waiting to happen and frankly, neither
of us needs it.

Even my earlier proposal, which I thought was fair and businesslike,
generated an extremely abusive response (thankfully in private) and
we just don't need that sort of thing anymore...

So, it is done.

Herb Peyerl
Core Group
The NetBSD Project.