Date:      Tue, 1 Jul 1997 14:26:46 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why Not Make tcsh the default shell?

> Why does FreeBSD install csh as the default shell instead of tcsh?
>
> Stanford University provides tcsh as the default shell....apparently
> not being concerned about confusing all the hics from Iowa with
> its added features.....

Bloat.  We've got sh and csh due to the POSIX requirement that they
both should be present, as many scripts use them.  For interactive
shells, there are a lot of different preferences, and we provide many
of them as ports - so you can mix'n'match just those of them you want.

A lot of people prefer bash or zsh over tcsh; some don't even feel
bothered by csh, e.g. due to using emacs around the shell anyway.

Eivind.