Date:      Fri, 01 Mar 1996 14:03:24 +0000
From:      Colman Reilly <creilly@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Annex erpcd with 2.1.0R? (sob)

I'm currently trying to install the 9.2.7 version of the host software
for Annex terminal servers on a box running 2.1.0R. I've seen the archives, and I *know* people have got this working with FreeBSD before. Can anyone tell
me what version of FreeBSD this was with, or has anyone else solved this
problem under 2.1.0?

The symptoms are:

* The software compiles after applying the recommended fixes
from the Xylogics site, and the Annex is able to boot from the running erpcd.

* However, the remote administration command (na) does not work, failing
with a  timeout when I try to communicate with an Annex and the Annex
is unable to communicate with the erpcd running as a security server.
I'm not sure if the problem is at the level of networking code or
something more obvious.

* I have the TCP extensions turned off on the machine in question, and
yes, I have tried turning them on just to see if it makes a difference.

* The Xylogics support people don't understand this at all - as far as they know
it all works with FreeBSD, but they're not sure what version. From the mail in
the archive I suspect that it was either 2.0.5 or 1.1.5 that people were using
when it was discussed. Anyone know?

Colman