Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 14:37:33 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Christophe Juniet <cjuniet@entreview.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/41106: FreeBSD Handbook lacks "Desktop Applications" chapter.

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 01:51:03PM +0200, Christophe Juniet wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 12:17:07PM +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> > -Check the names of packages, from a 4.6-STABLE:
> > pkg_add -rv linux-netscape6
> > pkg_add -rv AbiWord
> > fail.
>
> I was not sure about these ones. I have a 4.5-RELEASE, a 4.6-STABLE and a
> -CURRENT boxes and many package names have changed. What is the Right
> Way to do this in the Handbook, should it refer to the last ports tree or
> should I put <note>s like I did with Acrobat ?

In fact, you have to be sure people are not going to *spam* a list
telling that "pkg_add -r AbiWord from the Handbook" is not working.
So you should point them to a working solution: the ports. But maybe
the missing packages are going to be available soon...

And, while we are on a ports/package problem, what about adding a:

Before reading this chapter, you should:
	Know how to install additional third-party software (Chapter 4).

> > Browser section:
> > -What about adding a little sentence giving name of light browsers like
> > dillo, w3m and links...?
>
> Well, in fact I tried to focus on a 'new user from a well known OS' point
> of view. So I speak basically of existing apps on Windows or MacOS.
> Maybe I misread pr/41106 but I don't think a newbie would like to use w3m
> instead of Mozilla (despite the fact I often do :)

You are totally right.

> > Productivity section:
> > -Maybe Koffice has his place in the section, as some apps like gnumeric,
> > gnucash...
>
> I tried not to refer to KDE or GNOME apps since they aim to be complete
> desktop. Maybe they deserve their own section ?

I don't know on that point. I saw many people using Koffice without
using KDE as environment, it's why I thought about Koffice.

Marc