Date:      Sat, 18 Jul 1998 22:26:31 +0200
From:      "Thomas A. Halter" <webmaster@gp-flash.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Finding PCMCIA Cards

Hello,

  I have installed FreeBSD on a Epson ActionNote 890C.  I'm trying my best to get a pppd connectoin to function and never thought I'd have this many problems.

  Here is what I have done and where I am at:

  I installed with the PAO install disk, based on ftp downloaded files from the freeBSD ftp pages.  It immediately found my cards and recognized the modem.  The other card, a 3Com Combo card, it couldn't match and listed as an 'unsupported card'.

  I edited rc.conf to include PCMCIA, setting it to "YES"

  I created a pccard.conf and used the CIRRUS LOGIC, FAX MODEM definition that was in the pccard.conf.sample based upon the card that the PAO disk found and which shows with every boot.

  I then created the two files required for a pppd connection using chat.

  Now, when I enter pppd, I get a 'device not configured'.  I have tried the following devices:
  /dev/cuaa0
  /dev/cuaa1
  /dev/cuaa2
  /dev/cuaa3  (thinking, well, Win95 see it as comm4)
  /dev/card1 (it's in the 2nd card slot)
  /dev/xp1 (what it calls in boot when it sees the card)

  Now if someone could please help me answer this question, I would be extraordinarily greatfull.

  I'm not on the user list, so please send this back to my e-mail address.  I've been through the PAO site and the FreeBSD site and if it is something simple, I'm just not understanding it.  Thank you

Tom