Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 2010 01:04:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hubert Tournier <hubert@frbsd.org>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic with FreeBSD Guest in FreeBSD VirtualBox host

Hello Ted,

Ted Mittelstaedt-5 wrote:

> are these all 32 bit systems?
>> on FreeBSD hosts (only tested on 8.0pX amd64, but on 4 machines with
>> different hardware)

I only have 64 bits servers, all with Intel VT-x CPUs and known to work with
(other) 64 bits guests.

Hubert Tournier wrote:

>> I've no troubles with VM guests using Linuxes (CentOS, Ubuntu, Red Hat)
>> or
>> Windows (XP, 2008).

I believe the CentOS and Ubuntu systems are 32 bits,
The Red Hat is 64 bits.
All these VM work on all our FreeBSD hosts.

Hubert Tournier wrote:

>> The same VMs work fine on VirtualBox (any version) on a Windows XP guest,
>> and used to work on VirtualBox 3.1.2 on a FreeBSD host.

There was a typo there. I wanted to say "on a Windows XP host".

Ted Mittelstaedt-5 wrote:

> I have FreeBSD 5.5-RELEASE guest running under VirtualBox 3.1.6-OSE on
> FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE i386 32 bit

Hum. It may be dependent on the systems settings i use. Come to think about
it the GENERIC 8.0p3 kernel i tested upon was compiled with some
optimizations (CFLAGS+= -mtune=k8 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mfpmath=sse). I
will run a test with default compilation options.

However, i don't plan to use FreeBSD i386 hosts because most of our servers
have more than 4 GB RAM.

Best regards,

Hubert