Date:      Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:46:02 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Tuc at T-B-O-H <ml@t-b-o-h.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems since 5.3-RELEASE-p15

Tuc at T-B-O-H wrote:

>>Are you sure you rebuilt and re-installed both your kernel and your
>>world?  If they are out of sync, that can cause unusual problems.
>>

>	Yes. I have a 2 part process I run :
>[process elided]
>	I guess I could re-run it and see if it continues.

If the problem is intermittent then I would  suspect the hardware (I
know, everyone always says that, but I really have used a brand new
server which segfaulted randomly and it really was a memory problem).
Try building a memtest86 CD from the ports (from a different machine
perhaps) and running it for at least several hours, though it might not
take that long.  Your BIOS might also support extended memory tests (try
disabling quick POST) though they are supposed to be less effective than
memtest86.

>>If you have upgraded to 5.3-RELEASE-p15 why not just upgrade to
>>5.4-RELEASE-p*?
>>

>	I'm always nervous going up a release due to my NVIDIA card....

I've never used any fancy features of my NVidia under FreeBSD (never
need them!) and the stock Xorg Nvidia driver works just fine on my aging
GeForce2, so I can't really comment on that.  But there have been many
comments on this list that 5.4 is a real improvement over 5.3 (went
straight from 4.11 myself).

However, if this *is* a hardware problem then I would worry about that
first.  The upgrade to 5.3-p15 (presumably from 5.3-p-something else)
could be pure coincidence.  I mean, you have to be doing *something*
before getting a hardware fault!

--Alex