Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 00:10:14 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xe0 and ifconfig

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 04:26:55AM -0700, Jamie Bowden wrote:

> I've run into an odd xe0 problem.  I'm ran ifconfig media 10baseT/UTP on
> my laptop (needed to be in 10mbit mode, long story, irrelevant to this
> tale) and noticed the dongle still showed 100mbit.  Tried going out and
> got continuous watchdog timeout warnings from the kernel.
>
> I could live with this, but, and this is the kicker, in order to get the
> card reinitialized to a working state, I had to restart the machine in
> Win2k.  Removing and reinserting the card didn't work, cold reboot into
> FBSD didn't work.  I was pretty amazed.  I was glad W2k fixed it.  I was
> actually glad I had W2k available.  I then rebooted the machine back to
> FreeBSD, as I wasn't that glad.
>
> The actual card in question is and Intel PRO/100 PC Card, FreeBSD is
> 4.3-R, machine is Dell Latitude C800.
>
> I'm curious if anyone has seen this, or if even one of the other xe based
> cards (non intel) show this behaviour.

Strangely enough, someone else did report a similar problem a few weeks
ago.  As I recall, they had two (supposedly) identical cards, one of which
started behaving differently after it had been using Win2K or FreeBSD (I
forget which).

AFAIK, the Intel & Compaq xe cards are just a Xircom in a different wrapper
so the same behaviour should exist with all of them.  However, I didn't
think there was any configurable state in there that would survive power
cycling... except maybe the MAC address, I guess.  How long did you eject
it for?

I'm starting to be convinced - from other conversations I've had lately -
that there's some fundamental flaw in the way the xe driver initialises the
card.  This could be the real reason that autonegotiation doesn't always
work, it could explain these really weird behaviours too -- perhaps the
flawed init procedure is screwing up the card in some way such that it's
really hard to unscrew it :-)

I've been talking to a few other people who are looking at various prblems
with the xe driver, including this intialisation thing; hopefully there
will be some answers soon.

At least you found something that Win2K is good for, though.

	Scott