Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 15:23:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        joy@urc.ac.ru (Konstantin Chuguev)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

According to Konstantin Chuguev:
[Charset koi8-r unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> > ? I would prefer going to a full-on Unicode implementation to support
> > ? all known human languages.
> > ?
> >
> >                 This was my first leaning, but I'm increasingly
> >                 going toward the ISO families.
> >
> What do you mean by ISO families? ISO 8859? ISO 2022?  ISO 10646?
> Which of them?

	I meant whatever representation of the International Standards
	Org that would translate *.msg  files into *.cat catalogues
	that can be sent to stdout|stderr using the generic locate
	mechanisms.  For the Latinate languages, iso-8859-[12].  If
	the iso-2022 model works for the Asian languages, then that,
	too.

	I've seen iso-10646 referenced but do not understand much
	about it...

> > ? The next hardest step is the editors, starting with "vi".  They have
> > ? to be able to support Unicode.
> >

> >                 nvi/nex already have been tweaked for 8-bit international
> >                 support.  I learned this accidently.  WAs quite
> >                 surprised to see messages in French and German.  :-)
> >
> It's not internationalization. It's just localization. And generally,
> it's much easier to be done.

	All right.  Then my first concern is localization.  Any shell
	or other utility should be understandable by people in their
	own society.

> >                 Nonetheless, I see why you like the Unicode solution.
> >                 Someone said, ``Well, French support is great, but how
> >                 are you going to handle Japanese?''
> >
> And how are you going to handle both (+ Russian, for example :-)

	Russian? Dunno.  I've seen the KOI8-R character set; I have
	several cyrillic fonts in my X11 library, but know absolutely
	nothing about how this would work with my catalog code.
	Since Russian should fit into an 8-bit byte, I'm hoping
	that the KOI8-R set would fit.

> This certainly requires either one flat character set like ISO 10646
> (at least its Plane 0) or ESC-switched one like ISO 2022.
>
> > ?
> >
> >                 How does the ISO2022 model work here?  Isn't it the
> >                 same for Japanese and Chinese?
>
> ISO 2022 is just a mechanism of containing a number of subsets
> in one character set (switching between subsets with predefined
> ESC-sequences).

	Ah.  It's getting a bit clearer now.

	In an earlier mail message you mentioned that with Unicode
	collation (and possibly more) was easier.  Doesn't the locale
	code take care of these issues (assuming the ISO method)?

	I'm not so radically ambitious as to suggest solving the
	entire i18n issue.  That could take a few centuries, :-)
	I'm looking for a way to implement messaging; and later,
	as much of the rest of ``locale'' as I can.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix