Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 12:37:41 +0200
From:      Phil Regnauld <regnauld@ftf.net>
To:        Francisco Reyes <freyes@inch.com>
Cc:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, "chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD lightness: Free/Net/Open

Francisco Reyes writes:

> What is netboot.exe?

	/sys/boot/netboot

	Read the docs -- it's a small binary whicch you run from
	DOS -- or you can flash it into an EEPROM to put
	into that socket on your NIC that you always wondered about.

	We currently have support for 10Mbps NICs, but maybe 100Mbps are supported
	now (Luigi Rizzo might know about this).

	Anyway: the program, compiled according to your NIC, will run BOOTP,
	get an address, and TFTP a kernel.  The rest is downhill.

> What part of the kernel did you "strip out"?

	Probably UFS, wd*, fd*, sio, lp*, etc... (though you could use a pipe/tunnel
	and run floppy, sound, parallel, serial locally).

	You use NFS to mount your root FS, and start an X server from there.

	The handbook has some stuff, there's also some examples in /usr/share.

> Wouldn't a custom kernel do the job or are there savings to be made
> from taking certain things out?

	It depends what you call stripping -- knowing (in a way) Terry, he
	did more than just make a custom -- you need to hack to run with
	4 MB.

	But 8 MB and Custom kernel will do fine.

> I would be hesitant to even try taking things out of the kernel..

	Don't, it's fun: you can rip out VM for example :-)

--
Divizion by Zero error -- multiplying by zero to recover.