Date:      Sat, 17 May 2003 15:05:49 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Jonathan Belson <jon@witchspace.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: pornview-0.2.0.p.1

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 01:36:18PM +0100, Jonathan Belson wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >The package builds currently fail on 4.x:
> >
> >http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/i386-4-latest/pornview-0.2.0.p.1_1.log
> >
> >Your workaround does not sound like a solution though.  stdin et al
> >are defined for a reason ;-)
>
> The problem is in the following structure:
>
> struct ChildContext_Tag
> {
> 	...blah...
>     int     stdout_fd;
>     int     stderr_fd;
>     int     stdin_fd;

That part of the structure is not the problem.  The next part of this
structure is the problem.

    gchar   stdout[GTK_MPLAYER_BUF_SIZE];
    gint    stdout_size;
    gchar   stderr[GTK_MPLAYER_BUF_SIZE];
    gint    stderr_size;

This code is faulty since stdin/stdout/stderr *are* macros and
therefore *will* mess up this declaration.

> 	...blah...
> };
>
> The author's (perfectly legitimate) members are being mangled by

Not legitimate. The C standard itself says that stdin/stdout/stderr are
supposed to be macros and therefore this behaviour is expected.

> the preprocessor.  It seems a little unfair to ask the author to
> change them, the only other alternative I can see is to s/// every

The bug is in the application, not in FreeBSD, so, unfair or not, it
isn't FreeBSD that should be changed.