Date:      Sun, 02 Apr 2000 19:19:48 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world failed

In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.10004022001010.1758-100000@home.offwhite.net> Brennan W Stehling writes:
: gosh, thanks for the helpful comments.

Upgrading from source requires a lot of investment in time to get
right.  Failure to make that investment will result in a bad system.

: actually, i did research this as much as i could.  i have done this many
: times in the past, but not over the major boundary.  and when i was
: looking over that make world page it did not offer any warning about not
: working for the 4.0 upgrade.

I'll make sure that it is changed then.  I could have sworn that we
put some warnings in between the 2.x -> 3.0 upgrade.

: if i cannot trust the official freebsd website to provide me with proper
: instructions, why would i choose to continue using this operating system?

You have every right to expect that to be up to date and have all the
usual warnings.

: i do not know who you are, but perhaps you should consider your comments
: before sending them off next time.

I maintain the UPDATING file, which contains most all of the
instructions that you'll need to upgrade from 3.4 -> 4.0.

: it's not like i can buy a detailed book on freebsd or find a detailed web
: page on the official freebsd website which assists me in moving from 3.x
: to 4.0.  perhaps someone on this list can volunteer to submit a helpful
: article to one of the bsd sites to assist people like myself who want to
: learn but need a little help in administering this fine operating system.

Agreed.  Like I said, I'll do what I can to make sure that the
makeworld part of the handbook is updated to reflect what is and isn't
supported.  And also to put a pointer to the UPDATING file.

Thanks for the comments.  Sorry I was so harsh on you.  Part of that
was for the archives for the next person who looks through the mailing
list archives looking for pitfalls will know better.

Warner