Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 22:47:02 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>, Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world failed

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 02:22:58PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> And seeing as how this problem stem from a lack of resources (people
> to do the work) and always has, what is your proposal?  Suggestions
> that we just somehow magically "find more people" will be laughed out
> of town since we've tried that.  Volunteering to write some sort of
> account system for volunteers to come in and drop their changes into a
> php3/modperl/whathaveyou sort of mechanism which you plan to write
> would get a much better reception.

Not to pour cold water on this, but before anyone starts pointing out
any of a half dozen freely available packages that might make this
possible already, ask yourself:

   1.  Does it lend itself to making translations of the material
       available?

   2.  Does it lend itself to being mirrored by umpteen sites around the
       world?  Preferably using (or abusing) CVSup?

   3.  Does it maintain a complete and accurate change history, including
       the ability to do diffs?

   4.  How is user authentication accomplished?  I'm not about to give
       all and sundry write access to the website. . .

Our existing infrastructure is not as slick as some of the third party
management tools out there, but it handles all of those criteria, and
it requires very few additional tools.  We've also got a lot of
documentation written about it.