Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 17:34:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jin Guojun (FTG staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        jdp@polstra.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@smith.net.au
Subject:   Re: ld for loading dynamic library changed in 3.0-RELEASE?

> Whether it is used at link time varies from system to system.  Under
> SunOS, it was used at link time.  But under Linux, for example, it
> apparently is not.  I say that because they use the same ELF tools we
> do, and the code simply isn't there to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH at link
> time.

Can we improve it? LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a UN*X environment variable
which is used for all UNIX platforms, but may not for Linux.
I think it is not a hard job.

Ignore the platforms. Shall we always make things work better and better,
but not following some restriction? we want the evolution.

Just my two cents.

	-Jin