Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 16:53:34 +0200
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trailing edge system recs

>I was reading about casings and stuff the other night,
>and I'm under the impression that if you're runnning an
>Athlon, a 300W Power Supply is recommended.
>
>Anyone care to comment on that? is 250W not enough?
>
>Enlight casings rock!

Hi!

Well, the Athlon is a heavy power consumer. (About up to 70 Watts)

Also, the PS is divided into several supply chains, one for the mobo, then
the 5V and 12 V for devices. The _sum_ of those make up for say, 250 Watts,
but the proportions may vary.

So, to be on the safe side, always go for _minimum_ 300 Watts quality PS
when using an Athlon. I've heard some reports that some systems even
require a 400 Watts PS to run stable.

Reason is , that when a PS runs under full stress (at maximum), then the
signal output quality isn't that good. Also (German mag c't did some test
some time ago on ATX PS) there are real differences in quality between
them, resulting in a possible cause for running unstable due to lack of
proper power being supplied to the internals.

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)