Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 15:34:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Reid <root@edmweb.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Automatic PPP-detecting getty and pppd!!!

> Okay all of you who have been wanting a way to get around loading
> "Microsoft Dial Up Scripting" on your Windows 95 boxes...  now FreeBSD
> can detect a PPP session inside getty, and deal with it appropriately!

How is this different from simply setting /etc/ttys to run pppd instead
of getty? Does it give a login prompt to people who aren't using PPP? If
my users don't want/need a login prompt, are there any advantages to
using the new getty instead of directly running pppd?

Forgive me if this is a stupid or self-answering question.

| Steve Reid - SysAdmin & Pres, EDM Web (http://www.edmweb.com/)    |
| Email: steve@edmweb.com   Home Page: http://www.edmweb.com/steve/ |
| PGP (2048/9F317269) Fingerprint: 11C89D1CD67287E68C09EC52443F8830 |
|          -- Disclaimer: JMHO, YMMV, TANSTAAFL, IANAL. --          |