Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 20:10:35 -0500
From:      Glen Foster <gfoster@gfoster.com>
To:        stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Frustrated....doc@freebsd.org

> From: "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 17:56:17 +0200 (EET)
>
>	   What's interesting: while sd1 was a fresh-formatted disk,
>	   dd worked Ok, I made an initial copy of rsd0c to rsd1c
>	   easily (fast!). But now I can't dd my rsd0a to rsd1a -- dd fails
>	   telling me that rsd1a is read-only file system.  ???
>	   rsd0e to rsd1e works fine! A day of beating and RTFMing
>	   with zero result. But this belongs to questions@freebsd.org,
>	   I'll ask there later... or learn how to "dump (1)", at last :)

I found dd to be very slow, I didn't play with the bs parameters as I
also ran into the "r/o" issue that you did once the part. had data on
it.  I find that a dump|restore pipe is much faster than dd plus the
two partitions don't have to be identical.  OTOH, the destination
partition has to be mounted, like:

# newfs /dev/rsd1h
# mount /dev/sd1h /mnt
# dump 0f - /dev/rsd0h | (cd /mnt ; restore rf -)
# umount /mnt

>	   Do you mean "partitions" to be fdisk partitions (those called
>	   "slices"), or a BSD subpartitions with file systems?
>	   I recall that there _is_ a limit on BSD subpartitions quantity
>	   somewhere, though I'd never reached it :-)

I meant "traditional" BSD (sub-)partitions whether living inside a
slice or on the disk itself.  These are limited to eight.
Unfortunately, the sysinstall program enforces its own lower limit
even though you have more than one disk and/or partition selected.  I
was told that there is documentation about this, perhaps in the
sysinstall help files, but I haven't confirmed it myself.

I like your solution for implementing a "hot spare" disk in the box,
the only concerns I would have about that would be that added heat
might shorten the life of both disks and that a power problem (e.g.
lightning strike) could kill both disks at once.