Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 21:57:51 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 1.3.1 patchset 7 not quite ready

> > It appears that signals may not be completely working as expected in
> > -current, so you may have problems there as well.
> >
> > If the only problems are userland (ie; libc_r), that's a really silly
> > reason to abandon -stable for -current.
>
> First of all, the code (HotSpot + libc_r) works better under -current
> than -stable. I've been tracking -current pretty closely and it's fine
> for what's being done at this point, signals are ok too.

Signals 'mostly work' in -current, regardless of what they do in
HotSpot.  You may end up chasing your tail trying to fix Java bugs that
are in fact kernel bugs.

> A differentiation needed to be made between my own development process
> and what will be available to the general community.

Ok, you can run whatever you like, but don't expect anyone to be able to
help you.  (The latter was sarcasm, since at the moment you're the only
one doing any HotSpot development.)

By jumping to -current, you severely limit both the developers *AND*
testers for the code, so you'll continue to be the one-man show.

If that's what you want, then you'll get your wish.  If, however you
want others to jump in and help you (as well as use the fruits of your
labors), then we need to keep -stable a supported platform, even if it's
non-optimal.

> Right now they are different and it serves me best to continue with
> what I'm current doing otherwise I won't be able to make any more
> forward progress with this project.

Define progress?  Getting stuff working under -stable is progress, and
ripping the code out is certainly not progress.

> As far as abandoning -stable, that'll be corrected once a libc_r merge
> happens. It's not really abandoning it per se as much as waiting for
> an essential component to be migrated over. When that happens, the two
> efforts will be unified.

Fair enough.  Does Dan know exactly what parts of libc_r need to be
merged back in?  Can you help him out there, so that the changes are
made back to -stable, so that other developers (and users) can get a
chance at HotSpot?  That would be a temporary setback for you as far as
bit-twiddling and such, but it would bring the project and other
developers much further ahead.

Nate