Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 20:12:42 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TeX problems; Doc. Proj. needs you!

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 10:16:42AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Sunday,  8 November 1998 at  0:19:32 +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > True enough. That could just be people using similar styles, fonts, and
> > so on.
>
> Definitely.  I know it's possible to use different styles and fonts
> with TeX, but a lot of people seem to find it too difficult.
>
> > It gets pretty easy to spot web pages that have been processed by
> > Norm Walsh's DocBook HTML stylesheets as well :-)
>
> Hmm.  Not a recommendation.

Yes and no. It's pretty easy to spot documents that have been written
in LinuxDoc and translated to HTML, they all have the same look and feel.

However, there's nothing to stop people customising Norm's stylesheets,
or writing their own. At the moment, his are the de-facto standard
for DocBook -> HTML conversion, and they work pretty well. As
doc/sgml/freebsd.dsl shows, they can be customised and chunks can be
rewritten, even by a DSSSL neophyte like myself, which is something.

> Looks like you'd have to go via .dvi.  Presumably there's a DVI driver
> for PDF.

I don't think you need to. From what I can see, it should either be a
case of

    pdftex "&jadetex" handbook.tex

or

   pdfjadetex handbook.tex

I'm pretty certain one of those two should work, when JadeTeX is properly
installed.

	    C.R.F. Consulting -- we're run to make me richer. . .