Date:      Thu, 03 Nov 2005 23:27:13 +0000
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: skc0: unknown media type: 0x0

Mikhail Teterin wrote:

>>What do you have in /etc/rc.conf especially regarding ifconfig_sk0?  A
>>bad change there could easily results in the problem not showing up
>>until a reboot.
>>

>The interface-detection fails during boot -- long before anything in rc.conf
>comes into play. It used to say:
>
>	sk0: <Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. Yukon> on skc0
>
>It now says:
>
>	skc0: unknown media type: 0x0

 From the source code, the driver is trying to read the media type
setting from the eeprom and failing to get anything it understands.
This looks like only the second bit of info that is looked at from the
eeprom, and the first bit wouldn't give an error if it too was returning
0x0.  This is just my quick reading of the code, though! I would
definitely be starting to think that adding the memory triggered a
hardware problem, perhaps static, or something physical.

Presumably you don't have another OS installed on the machine (<dread
look> Windows or Linux) because if it too couldn't see the ethernet that
would be a strong indicator of hardware problems.

--Alex