Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 20:28:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        FREEBSD-ISP-L <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>, Greg Rowe <greg@uswest.net>
Cc:        angio@aros.net
Subject:   Re: Computer disappears from the network, then reappears...?

On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, Greg Rowe wrote:

> We've seen a similar problem on 4 different systems in the last couple
> weeks.  Three were running 2.1 Release and one running -Current. All
> three use the SMC EtherPower card. The symptoms were that system
> appeared to be running fine, but you couldn't telnet, ping, etc. into
> the box.

    Okay, I've started seeing this on my 2.2-960501 workstation, after
six weeks of perfectly good behaviour.  In fact, it hung on me three
times in the past two days.  'ifconfig de0 down ; ifconfig de0 up'
clears things up, as someone had suggested.  I haven't tried pinging
it from another server yet.

    None of our Internet servers have been afflicted with this
problem, and they are also running the same OS release, using the same
model of SMC EtherPower cards bought both some months before and after
the one in my workstation.  I don't know if there is any correlation
to a chip- or board-level revision on these SMC's.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.