Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:39:08 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001 16:07:48 PST, Matthew Dillon wrote:

|     Not to mention the increased memory capacity in modern machines.
|     When you put it together, we ought to see only small differences
|     in regards to random seek+read performance.

That's encouraging.

|     I've included the program below.. it would be cool if people
|     with RAID systems could run the same tests.

I'm almost finished with my batch of postmark benchmarks and will try
your program next.

Postmark seems to reflect MTA-like access patterns very accurately.
Postmark shows my Mylex eXtremeRAID + 15Krpm storage as about 3 times
faster than my Compaq SmartArray + 10Krpm storage, and Exim shows a
corresponding performance increase approaching a factor of 3.

Can we rely on your program to be similarly reflective of a RDBMS-like
access patterns?

Ciao,
Sheldon.