Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 15:45:36 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), itojun@iijlab.net, joy@urc.ac.ru, kline@tao.thought.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

> > > There will be a font for each round-trip character set.  Character sets
> > > for which standards existed that codified code points in different
> > > languages were not unified.  For example, English and Japanese.
> > >
> > > This is only a problem in the case of trying to use two locales
> > > simultaneously.  This never happens, unless you are a linguistic
> > > scholar or translator.
> >
> > This is clearly fallacious, as evidenced by Ito-san's earlier message.
> > It is not uncommon for the ordinary asiatic citizen to want to use
> > several locale's glyph sets in a single context.
>
> They can use a markup language to select fonts.  Naturally, I'd prefer
> the language be SGML rather than ISO 2022.

If you're advocating the use of a markup language, ie. forcing the issue
into the application domain, then you're buying out of the entire issue
by suggesting that it's not required in the system domain.

Not that I necessarily disagree, just that you're effectively moving
the language/character set bigotry line rather than doing away with it.