Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 02:03:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-freebsd-mobile@arctic.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seamless nomadic e-mail access

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Mike Smith wrote:

> > I can still read mail on my server or on my laptop.  On the server I can
> > use whatever client suits me.  i.e. telnet and pine.
>
> Sure, but this is not "more" accessible, this is less.

Uh I can get to it from wherever I can get on the net, even if I don't
have my laptop handy.  I can't do offline stuff.  But you have to keep
your laptop handy to do any mail.

> > Your disconnected mail reading has no method of synchronizing your actions
> > on your laptop copy of your mailbox with your server.  This is essential
> > to me, as I have no desire to read the same messages twice on all the
> > mailing lists I read.  I also like to have the "replied" annotations
> > attached to mail I have replied to.
>
> Bollocks.  All my mail is in one place, on the laptop.  That's about as
> synchronised as it gets.

I know all *your* mail is in one place, but you suggested to me that I
could keep mine in two places to "solve" my problem, and I'm saying that
that's not a solution.

As John said, I'm describing an ideal, you're describing a reality that's
good enough for you but not for everyone.  There are supposedly IMAP 4
disconnected clients for solaris x86, if there's an emulation mode you
might be able to use them.  I haven't bothered trying.  I kind of like
having source code to my main tools.

--
Dean Gaudet, Performance Analyst, Transmeta Corp.