Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 16:05:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Pat Lynch <lynch@bsdunix.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>, freyes@inch.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD lightness: Free/Net/Open

I haven't been reading the list, but since these are my machines
specifically being talked about, I figured I'd expand a little.

They are 486dx2/66's , some have DEC ethernet cards, others have 3com
(3c509)

most have old s3 video cards. some have 8M some have 16M

One of the reasons we have gone NetBSD, instead of FreeBSD is very simple,
and I don;t know why the debate here.

Bill Squier, who is working on these things as sortof his "pet project" is
a NetBSD guy, and since he knows what he wants to do with them as X
terminals, and was playign around with different things, we went with
NetBSD. NetBSD has always focused on being smaller, at least sizewise, to
run on older hardware. While freebsd for the most part is more featureful,
we don;t need the extra features, we don;t need PicoBSD, and its
definitely a preference for Bill to have NetBSD. EVeryone knows I'm a
staunch FreeBSD advocate, but in this case I couldn;t come up with any
clear advantages to using FreeBSD over NetBSD in this situation.

We probably aren't going to be netbooting, and the root filesystemmay or
may not be NFS, the server that they are going to use for NFS and managing
the windows is probably a FreeBSD box (SMP) and there I do need the
advantages of FreeBSD.

-Pat

Pat Lynch						lynch@rush.net
							lynch@bsdunix.net
Systems Administrator					Rush Networking