Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 00:52:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        kline@tao.thought.org (Gary Kline)
Cc:        joy@urc.ac.ru, itojun@iijlab.net, tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

> > Great.
> > What about conversion?
> >
> > Having an internationalized OS still require the ability of the user
> > to comunicate with other, non-internationalized parties with 8-bit
> > or other character sets.
>

> 		Is MIME a possible solution here?
>
> 		A friend of mine currently studying in Japan sends
> 		me mail (in English!), but my mailer//MUA can't
> 		understand it.  And I'm using MIME.  So there are
> 		bugs.
>
> 		If someone sends me mail in 8859-1 from a 2022-jp
> 		platform, his kernel (or an optional) driver
> 		should probably do the conversion.

This is an MUA issue, not a kernel issue.

It is also a display agent issue.

The easiest workaround is to install the kterm port and a Sony font,
and set the mimetypes for your mail reader.  This is trivial if the
reader is "elm" and you have compiled it using "metamail".

Alternately, since they are writing in English, you should not that
they are probably using EUC-encoding (because of the ISO2022).  If
the content has not been translated to BASE64 to get through a 7 bit
mail gateway, then you can save it to a file and read it with "more".

This is because the JIS-208 standard character set that will have been
used for the message; like Unicode, ISO 10646, ISO 8859-X, et. al.,
the JIS-208 character set is identical to US-ASCII for the first 128
code points.

You could also configure your external viewer for:

to be simply the "more" program.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---