Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 18:47:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Andy Newman <atrn@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>, FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: keyboards

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, Andy Newman wrote:

> Chuck Robey wrote:
> > Windows type, was showing me a 8 1/2 X 11 (on glossy) blowup he done,
> > using his HP scanner, of a picture a friend gave him (a little 2X3) and
> > the big blowup was astonishing in quality.  I may go see what more up to
> > date printers are out there, too.  He had a Canon BJC something-or-other.
> > Office Depot has a nice selection of those guys, if I can just avoid the
> > Windows printers (the kind with no internal brains).
>
> The modern ink/bubble-jet style printers, with special media, provide
> very good results (and it will get better).  However a *lot* of work is
> done in the driver and most manufacturers do not document the interface
> to the actual printer or provide sufficient documentation for the creation
> of drivers that achieve the quality you're seeing.  For Canon printers on
> platforms other than Windows or the Mac you won't get the results you're
> seeing, the details are not available to allow construction of good drivers.
> The driver needs to be aware of the type of ink in the printer, the paper/
> media in use, etc... as it all affects the actual amount and placement of
> the ink required to get good looking results (it's all very complicated ;-)
> I work for Canon in R&D and have spent time in the color printing area over
> the years and know a little bit about this ;) (now no longer true BTW,
> I work in other areas but I'm still associated with a lot of those who
> do printer work).

Oh really (can you hear my interest perking up?)  Good, because the pic
that my friend showed me was nothing short of incredible in detail.  The
only point on this hugely blown up thing where individual dots could be
discerned was in the area where a slightly off-white was being produced by
dithering; over than that, it could *easily* be taken for a photograph,
with only continuous shading.

I want to know which Canon model *ISN'T* one of those Windows things with
the brains in the driver only ... I'm looking for a Canon model that's
well supported by one of the ghostscript drivers.  Do all FreeBSD'ers in
general a favor and put this information in the mail archives!

> --
> Andy Newman

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)