Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 18:02:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, itojun@iijlab.net, joy@urc.ac.ru, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

According to Mike Smith:

> > There will be a font for each round-trip character set.  Character sets
> > for which standards existed that codified code points in different
> > languages were not unified.  For example, English and Japanese.
> >
> > This is only a problem in the case of trying to use two locales
> > simultaneously.  This never happens, unless you are a linguistic
> > scholar or translator.
>
> This is clearly fallacious, as evidenced by Ito-san's earlier message.
> It is not uncommon for the ordinary asiatic citizen to want to use
> several locale's glyph sets in a single context.

	Or then again, scholarly work is being done increasingly
	by computer.  I'm familiar with Thais doing translations
	from Sanskrit to Thai and Manadarin, for example.

	If we limit ourselves to the computer-nerd|geek mindset
	we are short-circuiting our potential.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix