Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 03:22:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Robert Swindells <swindellsr@genrad.co.uk>
To:        glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fixing Jbuilder 3.5

>The fonts which the default font.properties uses come with the JDK code.
>See share/lib/fonts/.  These are TrueType fonts though.  Robert suggests
>you may need a TrueType font server (e.g. xfsft) for them to be useful,
>but I'm pretty sure I'm not running a TrueType font server and they appear
>to just work for me.

I was under the impression that you needed support in the X server as
well. Could you run xdpyinfo on your system and look at what extensions
are installed.

>I'm still going to install the URW fonts and give them a go though :).

They make Netscape look *much* better.

The fontpath to use is:

FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/URW"
FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"

This came from a message to freebsd-java last year.

>P.S. the default font.properties is from the FreeBSD Java porting team.
>     Its based on the Solaris 5.5.1 font.properties that is in the
>     standard JDK 1.2.2 source if I remember correctly.

It might be worth producing a third variant of font.properties that works
for the standard fonts.

Robert