Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 17:06:39 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), tlambert@primenet.com, itojun@iijlab.net, joy@urc.ac.ru, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

> According to Mike Smith:
> > This is clearly fallacious, as evidenced by Ito-san's earlier message.
> > It is not uncommon for the ordinary asiatic citizen to want to use
> > several locale's glyph sets in a single context.
>
> 	Or then again, scholarly work is being done increasingly
> 	by computer.  I'm familiar with Thais doing translations
> 	from Sanskrit to Thai and Manadarin, for example.
>
> 	If we limit ourselves to the computer-nerd|geek mindset
> 	we are short-circuiting our potential.

It's still perhaps debatable as to whether this is an issue for the
system domain or the application domain, however.  As Terry points out,
the goal here is to be able to present messages to the user in their
native language and character set.

I think that there's a fairly wide slew of perspective here, and some
confusion as to what the various targets of desire are.