Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 06:53:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        anderson@centtech.com
Cc:        blackend@FreeBSD.ORG, cjuniet@entreview.com, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/41106: FreeBSD Handbook lacks "Desktop Applications" chapter.

I think the port descriptions are underserved by pkg-descr.  I think
the typical experience is to read a pkg-descr, visit the homepage and
check it out (screenshots, etc) then make, and then see if the
out-of-the-box install can be made to work like you want quickly, and
then deinstalling or keeping it.

With all of this, how is a newbie supposed to figure out that emacs is
God's text editor, if he/she didn't already know it? :)

A lot of us have found our own port-gems, setups which work well for
us, that we unwittingly became experts at configuring.  A chapter on
desktop apps can cover some of this, but not all the many permutations
of what's available.

As opposed to Mac or Win, Unices come with a sometimes overwhelming
set of options and mixing and matching with perhaps some kludges to
integrate them is the norm.  I might be the minority, but I think this
is a good thing, and our apps documentation should reflect this.

We should really do something different than the 1-solution fits all
style of win and mac for desktops.  A description of Gnome and KDE and
getting around them is great and needed, but for the other apps: mp3
players, cd players, mpeg players, and so on I think it would be
better to have something stand-alone, where a user, who has wrestled
with getting such things to work and work well, can give an intro to a
user.

Example:
I wrestled with mplayer, I fought with the docs, and I finally got it
working well, and now I love it, and I'd like to tell people how to
set it up with less pain than I had, if I had the forum.

If we had a 'port testimonials' area, which was fairly free form and
allowed each one of us to talk about how to get the most from kword,
abiword, openoffice, or whatever depending on which one each of us
lived in, then that would be more beneficial to the newbie.  I think it
would be fun for all of us to share our experiences with our fav ports.

The closest thing we have right now, is the 'trawling the ports
collection' series by Greg Lehey at ezine.daemonnews.org.  But he's
one guy, writing monthly, and he doesn't always even have the time to
really trick out the programs he tries.

-r