Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 1996 12:26:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        Matt Emerson <matt@pip.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: switch from sun to freebsd news server?

On Sat, 24 Feb 1996, Matt Emerson wrote:

> ideally, we'd like to use an ibm pc server 320 with a raid, and
> 64MB.  but after poking around the mailing list archives, i'm
> not too hopeful this will be a viable option.

I have a customer running SCO UNIX on one of these machines. First of
all, it is a dual Pentium design and I don't believe FreeBSD supports
dual CPU machines yet so why not buy faster single-CPU design. Secondly,
the RAID component of the 320 is supplied by a Mylex DAC960 host adapter
connected to a hot-swap drive chassis. This requires Mylex supported
drivers which I am sure are not available for FreeBSD. However, Mylex
makes a model of the DAC960 called DAC960SI which is System Independent.
It is a SCSI to SCSI design which requires a supported SCSI host adapter
in the host machine so there should be no problems in using it in a
FreeBSD machine. I have heard that it is also possible to get independent
hot-swap chassis. Perhaps if you call up Mylex and ask about the 960SI
they will be able to point you to a supplier of hot-swap chassis

> so, should i shut up and be happy with the ss10?  or would a
> switch be reasonable?

Research, research, research. The world of computers is a BIG WIDE world
these days, filled with lots of interesting nooks and crannies and people
doing interesting things with non-standard hardware and software.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael@memra.com