Date:      Thu, 3 Nov 2011 17:11:56 -0500
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        =?koi8-r?Q?=E1=CE=D4=CF=CE_=EB=CC=C5=D3=D3?= <rc5hack@yandex.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it safe to interrupt (Ctrl + C) while building a port or kernel?

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 22:48:26 +0400
áÎÔĎÎ ëĚĹÓÓ <rc5hack@yandex.ru> wrote:

> 03.11.2011, 21:20, "Robert Bonomi" <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>:
>
> >> ššIf it's so, do I need to run "make clean" before I start "make"
> >> one more time?
> > šAuthoritative answer: š"It depends".
> >
> > šOn what you 'did wrong", and what it takes to fix it.
> >
> > še.g., šif you're building a kernel the 'classial' way, that is
> > 'configure, make depend, cd , make', šand realize you left
> > something out of the config file, after you edit the config file,
> > you have to rerun _all_ those steps.
>
> Does it matter, if I always use "make buildkernel make installkernel"
> way to rebuild kernels?
>
> > šmake buildkernel
>
> ..
> oh! something wrong!
> <Ctrl> + <C>
> ..
> mistake fixed!
>
> > šmake buildkernel
> > šmake installkernel
>
> - is right?

That's fine, yes.  But I wouldn't do an unconditional installkernel
after buildkernel (suppose buildkernel failed in some way)?

Either include both targets in the same make command:

make buildkernel installkernel

Or make the second conditional on the outcome of the first:

make buildkernel && make installkernel

You might also save yourself some time by using "-DNO_CLEAN" after
changing your kernel config.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads@cox.net