Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 01:33:13 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        kline@tao.thought.org (Gary Kline)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

> 	Or then again, scholarly work is being done increasingly
> 	by computer.  I'm familiar with Thais doing translations
> 	from Sanskrit to Thai and Manadarin, for example.

What is the ISO character set standard for Linear B?

The issues of multinational processing need to be left to the
narrow range of applications for multinational processing, and
not addressed by the vast majority of applications, which neither
know nor care about anything more than a single locale.

> 	If we limit ourselves to the computer-nerd|geek mindset
> 	we are short-circuiting our potential.

I don't think so.  Nothing suggested prevents the word processor
writer from expending the multinationalization effort.

I will be entirely happy if my tcsh can only output "Bus Error"
in only one of English, Japanese, Chinese, German, etc., at one
time.  I would prefer that my scrollback buffer be filled with
information pertinent to the failure, and not an infinite number
of translations of the error message in case I, the viewer, read
only some obscure dialect of Urdlu and have been too lazy to tell
the computer which language I speak.

In general, computer users have a single native language.  This is
because, in general, humans have a single native language, and the
set of computer users and the set of humans are the same set
(well, except for CoCo the Gorilla, and she speaks American Sign
Language, which, other than the phonetic modifications the the Utah
School for the Deaf has been doggedly attempting to introduce, is
pretty much stuck as a dialect of English).

It would be ridiculous to localize to a "locale" for that one human
somewhere who was brought up in a Chinese speaking household in
Wiesbattan, Germany, so that we can display errors in the
particular Creole that one human speaks.  Presuming we can get
someone to translate into that Creole, of course.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.