Date:      Thu, 03 Nov 2011 23:17:08 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Subject:   FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT/amd64: Weirdness with LOCALE settings: ghostswitching in csh?

--------------enigE0C4C856A4584E23DF667483

Hello.
I realised something weird in FreeBSD 10.-CURRENT/amd64 (CLANG
compiled), build as from today (buildworld).

Working the whole day coding some pyhton scripts and committing the code
to my subversion server (most recent subversion from the ports
collection, the server is a FreeBSD 9.0-RC1/amd64 box, also system
compiled with CLANG, most recent as compiled world of today), suddenly,
oy of the blue, trying again to commit I get this error:

svn: warning: cannot set LC_CTYPE locale
svn: warning: environment variable LC_CTYPE is de_DE.ISO-8859-1
svn: warning: please check that your locale name is correct

Checking  csh shell setting with 'locale":
LANG=3D
LC_CTYPE=3D"C"
LC_COLLATE=3D"C"
LC_TIME=3D"C"
LC_NUMERIC=3D"C"
LC_MONETARY=3D"C"
LC_MESSAGES=3D"C"
LC_ALL=3D

Checking my settings from /etc/csh.cshrc and ./.cshrc or .login reveals
localised settings for some of the locales as I need those:

(set in $HOME/.cshrc)
setenv  LC_CTYPE        "de_DE.ISO-8859-1"
setenv  LC_TIME         "de_DE.ISO-8859-1"
setenv  LC_MONETARY     "de_DE.ISO-8859-1"

What is going on?

I realised this behaviour now several times, first time I thought I did
something and I couldn't remember, but this time, only two terminal
windows were opened and the whole day committing data to the repository
wasn't an issue.

Is there an explanation for this?

Regards,
Oliver