Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 11:03:12 +0900
From:      Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        joy@urc.ac.ru, kline@tao.thought.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

>> 	Handling bare iso-2022 string is some hard to implement because it
>> 	is variable length (yes I agree).  If we can provide a good library
>> 	for iso-2022, then there's no reason for us to migrate to Unicode.
>Except that 85% of the computer systems in the world and 90% of the
>computers in the Western world are going to be running Unicode by the
>year 2010 because of Microsoft Windows and JAVA.

	By the year 2010 FreeBSD rules the world, as you know :-)

>And we would like to be able to interoperate with them without paying
>a very high conversion overhead when we do it.

	I've never wanted people in US to use iso-2022-jp/kr/whatever.
	If I got 32bit wchar_t, runelocale library can support Unicode
	encoded data source and iso-2022 (incl. EUC) encoded data source
	just by setting environment variable LANG.
	There's also standardizing effort (or it maybe already
	done, I dunno about the current status) for stateful encodings
	support with wchar_t, as ANSI C extension standard so this is
	not just me wanting such as support for runelocale.

itojun