Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 22:03:01 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        lioux@uol.com.br
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How stable is the ATA code?

[Please wrap you mail to 72 colums or less.]

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 01:42:01AM -0300, lioux@uol.com.br wrote:
> 	I heard some rumors about some instability on the new ATA code
> combined with DMA mode. Is this founded? Can I safely build the latest
> stable and have a peaceful sleep?

On non-broken hardware, DMA generally works.  There is broken hardware
out there including the PIIX controler which has problems.  If you
currently have DMA on then you should probalby be OK.

> Disabling DMA is not acceptable. I am running stable not current. :-)
> I mean that it is totably acceptable on the current system, but this is
> my stable damnit. Please rollback the CVS if the rumors are real, this
> is a stable system. Users, even cvsupers, will overlook UPDATING, build
> a new kernel and get a trashed FS.

This is silly.  It's a new release with new features.  Of course there
are going to be bugs the beta testers didn't find.  No amount of testing
can prove correctness and users always try the strangest thing or own
the wackiest hardware.  As always, if you are paranoid, wait for the y.1
release.  That said, 4.0 is a very solid release and it hasn't caused me
problems on any of the systems I'm running it on.  I'm currently
recommending it as the release of choice for our conversion from a shop
with Sun desktops to FreeBSD desktops at work.

> If this is not true, I totally apologize.

In general this is FUD.  As expected, there are issues and some of them
are rather ugly, but in reality they are mostly hardware bugs or stupid
choices like rev'ing chips without changing the version number.

-- Brooks