Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 05:56:54 -0700
From:      "D.M.P." <gryph@mindless.com>
To:        Marty Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SV: Disks...?

Marty Poulin wrote:

> Sort of on the subject,
>
> I've been wondering for the last little while whether it would be
> beneficial to assign the swap partition to a separate disk - has anyone
> tried this?  If so, how did you find it affected system performance?
> Common sense tells me that it would speed the system up,
> especially if the swap disk is on a separate controller,
> but common sense has been known to lie to me in the past.

Putting the swap partition on a seperate disk does improve
performance.  But you won't see much improvement if both drives are
on the same IDE cable because only one drive can be reading or writing at any
given moment.  You'll get the most improvement if the drives are on
seperate IDE cables or on SCSI, where both drives can be reading or
writing at the same time.  This holds true for any OS that uses
swap-space.

--
"Nothing is more noble, nothing more venerable than fidelity.  Truth
and faithfulness are the most sacred excellences and endowments of