Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 22:17:48 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ICU configuration (was: FIXED -->  Thanks! Re: ep0 eeprom failed to come ready...)

On Sun, Apr 02, 2000 at 11:20 -0700, Chad R. Larson wrote:

> Ok.  So if you are going to invest programming effort, give me
> a tool that allows me to set any PnP compatible device exactly
> where I want it to be (without booting MS-DOS).  Put a smarter,
> configurable version of the PnP BIOS functionality into the
> loader, for example.

Sorry for throwing the L-word into this discussion, but one of
the other free UNIX systems has exactly such a tool.  The manpage
of isapnp(8) refers to the "Plug and Play ISA Specification,
Version 1.0a, May 5, 1994.  Available from
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developer/drg/Plug-and-Play/Pnpspecs" as
the underlying spec and sources can be found at
ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/unix/linux/utils.  The package
description reads as follows:

----- :r !rpm -qi -f /sbin/isapnp -------------------------------
Name        : isapnp                      Distribution: S.u.S.E. Linux 5.3 (i386)
Version     : 1.10                              Vendor: S.u.S.E. GmbH, Fuerth, Germany
Release     : 18                            Build Date: Thu Jul 30 04:35:24 1998
Install date: Sat Oct 17 00:34:11 1998      Build Host: wolfskehl.suse.de
Group       :                               Source RPM: isapnp-1.10-18.src.rpm
Size        : 98440
Packager    : feedback@suse.de
Summary     : ISA plug and play configuration utility
Description :
Two programs - one allows the dumping of resource data and generation
of a skeleton configuration file, the other configures ISA PnP hardware
using a configuration file.
More Info: /usr/doc/packages/isapnp/README.SuSE

Authors:
--------
    Peter Fox <fox@roestock.demon.co.uk>

That's right what I think is needed:  In the earlier days there
was a need to
- identify the hardware and dump their resource wishes to a file
  (once or when new hardware was added)
- modify these descriptions to form a collision-free allocation
  scheme or to force the hardware to what the admin thinks how it
  should be (once)
- use this scheme for assigning these resources and activating
  the devices (upon every boot process, usually automated)

This includes the possibility to disable disturbing devices (no
matter what the device itself or a driver thought it should be
like) and to treat broken or even working ICU stuff just like the
jumpered ISA cards.  But now it doesn't even take a screw driver
to arrange for the settings.  That's what comes closest to how I
know 3c509 cards w/ its disabled PnP feature -- which I feel to
be the ultimate solution in comfort and flexibility:  software
configuration _and_ no bad surprises due to badly implemented
automatisms!

Newer releases could permute these reservations themselves and
thereby generate a "suggestion" for one such collision-free set
without the user's need to intervene.  The latest releases are
said to watch out for the PCI resources, too.  Although I never
followed this very closely.  This seems to be what newer BIOSes
do -- but not everyone has such a BIOS and still wants to use ICU
cards (network, ISDN, sound, whatever in an 486).

Isn't there anything comparable to this tool in FreeBSD country?
Could it be made a port?  Do I miss a point when I think all this
program needs is access to an (ISA) io port and the sped'ed ICU
algo runs the same in any system?

I understand that it's a limitation for this program to be in
userland and running after the kernel is loaded (that's why it
could only help when the ICU using driver is a lkm).  Even if it
wasn't this very program which could make it to FreeBSD (for the
above reason), maybe this one can serve as a template for
something useful.  I just wished there was a means to
- manually tell the machine where to put certain devices
  *when*in*such*need*
- manually tell the machine where _not_ to put _any_ devices
  *when*in*such*need* (since there's legacy hardware which cannot
  be detected _cleanly_, and admin's hints often are more
  determined than autodetection)
- automatically have all the resources assigned to the hardware
  for those lucky of us where everything works as specified

It could work as headed for by Matthew N. Dodd (?) with
everything done as planned _with_ the addition of overriding the
settings found by the BIOS or permutated ourselfes when there's a
configuration file provided by the admin.  I see a need for
- exclusion of resources from the pool to be assigned (i.e.
  "reservation") and
- fixed assignments independent of what other resource
  combination an ICU component might suggest ("weakening" or
  "deletion" of the/some capabilities provided by the device)

Please forgive my being focused on Linux since I haven't found my
way to FreeBSD yet (still looking for a guide like "if you want
to ... do this" -- there may be similarities but they're not
obvious to me, so I'm still toying around and I'm still some sort
of without orientation).

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net