Date:      Wed, 05 Jun 1996 11:46:11 +1300
From:      Andrew Bevin <zabeva@nzsakl.bhp.com.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   pppd questions

Hi,

I'm a small isp in New Zealand running FreeBSD 2.1 Stable. I am currently
using pppd with PAP authentation. I have pppd running directly on the
dialin ports rather than getty. I have PAP using the 'login' feature
where it uses the password file and updates wtmp. Due to the way I am
billed I charge by IP traffic rather than time, therefore it is easier
for me to allocate fixed IP addresses to my users.

At the moment I have to tell by users to enter their IP address in there
TCP setup rather than have my server allocate them an IP address. I cant
find a way to allocate the users their IP address on connect. pppd can
set the IP addresses that users _can_ have via pap_secrets but pppd
doesnt force the user to have that IP address. I can't user ~/.ppprc as
it seems that pppd is not reading the ~/.ppprc file as the user is not
actually logging into the server. Does any one know how I can allocate
the IP address on a user basis?

With PAP and the 'login' option pppd is adding an entry to wtmp, but it
doesn't seem to be updating wtmp it when the user exits. I could look at
this myself, but I wonder if it is something that is being looked at at
the moment?

Despite runnning Stable I am still getting the left over arp entries
appearing after a user falls off the system. At the moment I have a
script that deletes these entries every 5 minutes. Is there a solution
imminent?

TIA

Andrew Bevin