Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 18:10:05 +0100
From:      Aernoudt Bottemanne <bottemanne@capitolonline.nl>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need anti-exchange ammunition

Hi  Stephen,

If I can help somebody kick M$ ass, you have my full support !
The figures below are from IDC, the January report (of 1999)

Stephen McKay wrote:

> On Wednesday, 27th October 1999, Aernoudt Bottemanne wrote:
>
> >TCO (Total Cost of Ownership):
> >Unix versus NT, in general  > 20 % cheaper to have Unix:
> >
> >* users    Unix=14,57% cheaper
> >* staff    Unix=20,34% cheaper
> >* admin    Unix=8.76% cheaper
> >* network  Unix=49,77% cheaper

These figures (below) are from gartner Group October 1998. The latest I've
heard, is that the differences is even growing !  that is good news. (also
the TCO of M$ is getting higher in comparison with Unix. As soon as I've
got the latest, advocacy is the first to know !)

> >Up-time: based on a thorough investigation ( > 100.000 companies...)
> >Unix=23,6 hours per year of the air
> >NT=224,5 hours per year of the air

Just for info: S/390 downtime is less then 10 minutes per year....
Tandem 1,7 hours, AS/400 5,2 and VAX 18,9
Unix on Intel = 23,6.  AIX (RS/6000 and SP) and HP-UX boxes have lower
downtimes then the
mentioned 23,6 hours.

> I'm interested in where you got this from.  You say "Gartner", but do
> you have a more precise reference?  Gartner have said a lot of stuff
> over the years.  If I know the exact reference, I can get someone else
> here to look it up for me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen.

  Your welcome !

FreeBSD:  with patented Gates-Be-Gone(TM) gets rid of blue screens in a
flash !