Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 23:24:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        forrestc@iMach.com (Forrest W. Christian)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/Opensource is not free

BRAVO!!!

Only one small nit... $2.7M/year, starting in 1993 puts it at about
a $18.9M price tag.  Ohhh.. and don't tell me we didn't have 150
committers back then, as the 10 to 20 of us where putting in way more
than 1 hour/day, some where doing more than 40 hrs/week for the first
year or two.

Some place some where I have the outline for a paper titled ``Free Software,
the Real Cost and Who has Payed Them''.   Beyond the commiters there was
money spent by UCB and a dozen other colleges, much of which came from
federal funding via grants and darpa contracts.  Another interesting stat
to toss out is the average line of code costs something like $50.00 over
it's lifetime including maintanance and recoding, if we stayed constant
at 6.6M lines it would have a cost/value of $330M!!!

> Since I probably am about to step in a puddle of gasoline with what I am
> about to say, I'd just like to preface this with this isn't meant as an
> attack on anyone, but instead as some food for thought.  I'm not
> particularly good with saying things in a tactful manner, and I'd rather
> not muddy what I'm trying to say by "softening" it.
>
> It seems that a growing number of posters to the list seem to not
> understand that FreeBSD and other OpenSource projects have a real cost
> which every user should help to bear.
>
> Now think about this: The "committers" have donated 2.7 million dollars
> of labor to FreeBSD, what have you done?

$2.7M in just the last year... :-)  Ohh.. and the 1 hour/day thing would
barely allow a committer the time to read the mandatory -commit mail in
order to be a committer :-)  Another words each of those 150 people is
burning about $18,250/year of his/her own time just reading email.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net