Date:      Wed, 09 Apr 1997 00:16:23 -0500
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
To:        rpanula@dacmail.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird ping behavior

Russ Panula wrote:

> Could somebody running 2.2.1-RELEASE try pinging
> fprac_mail_1.med.umn.edu?
>
> The machine I have running 2.2.1 tells me it's an unknown host but is
> able to resolve the name using the host command.
>
> Other boxes here that are not running 2.2.1 can see it fine.

I am having a similar problem on my machine since upgrading (err,
updating <grin>) from 2.1.6 to 2.2.  I thought it was just something I
did wrong in the update procedure and dismissed it as such, but if
others are having similar problems, maybe it needs to be looked into.
:-)

My problem, however, extends much farther than just ping.  Telnet and
ftp are affected as well.  I fixed the same problem that occurred with
my installed ports leftover from my 2.1.6 install, such as ircii and
ncftp2, by compiling a "fakelib" of sorts found in the source tree
(forgot its exact name) which ALSO helped ftp/ping/telnet/etc. for some
reason?  However, I didn't think any such problems should have affected
something like ping/ftp/telnet since they were compiled to run with any
new changes in 2.2 to begin with. :/

I'm not going to say there is a real problem with my system until I
finally wipe everthing and do a fresh start with 2.2.1 (or whatever
happens to be the latest RELEASE when I do so).

Cheers,
Chris Dillon