Date:      Fri, 4 Nov 2011 01:44:43 -0400
From:      Janos Dohanics <web@3dresearch.com>
To:        Alejandro Imass <ait@p2ee.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: postfix INST_BASE option

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 11:23:46 -0400
Alejandro Imass <ait@p2ee.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Janos Dohanics <web@3dresearch.com>
> wrote:
> > Could you comment on the pros and cons of using INST_BASE=on in
> > postfix on a production server?
> >

> Great question! I know there has been some discussion to be able to
> choose your base MTA upon install but I don't know how far this has
> gone.
> I don't use that option but rather install it as a regular port,
> register it in mailer.conf when it asks you to and then do this in
> your rc.conf
>
> sendmail_enable="NO"
> sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
> sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
> sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
> postfix_enable="YES"
>
> I haven't used the INST_BASE option out of fear that it might give me
> trouble on building world and upgrading. Also a new approach I'm
> taking is using EzJail for "service jails" so use a pure MTA jail and
> use the base sendmail as a relay to that. For the time being I'm using
> posfix on the base system to relay  but in the future I plan to do it
> with the native sendmail and only use postfix on the MTA service jail.
>
> --
> Alejandro Imass

That's exactly what I have done when setting up systems, as well as
setting WITHOUT_SENDMAIL in src.conf, as Lowell Gilbert mentioned.

With the above options, Sendmail is disabled, is not being built
with buildworld, and Postfix is installed as regular port in /usr/local.

If INST_BASE=off is the default, what's then the usage scenario when I
still would want to change it?

--
Janos Dohanics