Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:52:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xe0 and ifconfig

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Scott Mitchell wrote:

:On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 04:26:55AM -0700, Jamie Bowden wrote:
:>
:> I've run into an odd xe0 problem.  I'm ran ifconfig media 10baseT/UTP on
:> my laptop (needed to be in 10mbit mode, long story, irrelevant to this
:> tale) and noticed the dongle still showed 100mbit.  Tried going out and
:> got continuous watchdog timeout warnings from the kernel.
:>
:> I could live with this, but, and this is the kicker, in order to get the
:> card reinitialized to a working state, I had to restart the machine in
:> Win2k.  Removing and reinserting the card didn't work, cold reboot into
:> FBSD didn't work.  I was pretty amazed.  I was glad W2k fixed it.  I was
:> actually glad I had W2k available.  I then rebooted the machine back to
:> FreeBSD, as I wasn't that glad.
:>
:> The actual card in question is and Intel PRO/100 PC Card, FreeBSD is
:> 4.3-R, machine is Dell Latitude C800.
:>
:> I'm curious if anyone has seen this, or if even one of the other xe based
:> cards (non intel) show this behaviour.
:
:Strangely enough, someone else did report a similar problem a few weeks
:ago.  As I recall, they had two (supposedly) identical cards, one of which
:started behaving differently after it had been using Win2K or FreeBSD (I
:forget which).

I've used this card with FBSD 3.4 and 4.x, Win98, WinNT 4.0, and Win2k.
FreeBSD is the oddity in this equation.  It works, but it's always been
just a little bit...off.

:AFAIK, the Intel & Compaq xe cards are just a Xircom in a different wrapper
:so the same behaviour should exist with all of them.  However, I didn't
:think there was any configurable state in there that would survive power
:cycling... except maybe the MAC address, I guess.  How long did you eject
:it for?

It usually runs pretty warm.  Bordering on hot.  I let it cool off a bit
before shoving it back in.  In doing a cold boot, I left the machine
powered down for a measured minute.

:I'm starting to be convinced - from other conversations I've had lately -
:that there's some fundamental flaw in the way the xe driver initialises the
:card.  This could be the real reason that autonegotiation doesn't always
:work, it could explain these really weird behaviours too -- perhaps the
:flawed init procedure is screwing up the card in some way such that it's
:really hard to unscrew it :-)

Autoneg works fine for me; I just can't manually set the media type.  If
I had to pick, I'd rather autoneg was broken.  I've used the card under
FBSD in 100mbit full duplex switches, 10/100 half duplex hubs, and 10mbit
half duplex hubs, all autoneg'd fine.

:I've been talking to a few other people who are looking at various prblems
:with the xe driver, including this intialisation thing; hopefully there
:will be some answers soon.

If I had any real coding skills at all, I'd grab the data sheet off
Intel's web site and start poking around, but I'm not a real programmer, I
don't play one on TV, and the likely outcome would be a broken driver.

:At least you found something that Win2K is good for, though.

It lets me play all the games NT wouldn't run, and I can do what I need to
do to the NT boxes that I deal with as part of my job.  Other than that,
the machine runs FreeBSD when it's on most of the time.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"