Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 18:18:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Reid <root@edmweb.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Computer disappears from the network, then reappears...?

>     Okay, I've started seeing this on my 2.2-960501 workstation, after
> six weeks of perfectly good behaviour.  In fact, it hung on me three
> times in the past two days.  'ifconfig de0 down ; ifconfig de0 up'
> clears things up, as someone had suggested.  I haven't tried pinging
> it from another server yet.

It happened to me for a second time...

The card died one night, came back up at around 5am and delivered the
daily run output to our mail machine, then went down again. I went to the
console to try to bring it back up, but I couldn't. 'ifconfig de0 down;
ifconfig de0 up' wouldn't reset the card. Even shutting the whole computer
off and back on didn't reset the card. Needless to say, we sent it back to
the retailer, still under warranty. They plugged the card in and it
worked, so they're sending it back to the manufacturer calling it an
intermittent problem.

Our other machine, with identical motherboard and identical SMC EtherPower
10/100 card, has not had any problems AFAICS. Both machines running
FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE.

I don't know if the address of the card means anything, but FWIW the
address of the card we returned was 00:00:C0:09:94:C6 and the address of
the card that works is 00:00:C0:F1:93:C6

| Steve Reid - SysAdmin & Pres, EDM Web (http://www.edmweb.com/)    |
| Email: steve@edmweb.com   Home Page: http://www.edmweb.com/steve/ |
| PGP (2048/9F317269) Fingerprint: 11C89D1CD67287E68C09EC52443F8830 |
|          -- Disclaimer: JMHO, YMMV, TANSTAAFL, IANAL. --          |