Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:00:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jin Guojun (FTG staff) <jin@portnoy.lbl.gov>
To:        jdp@polstra.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ld for loading dynamic library changed in 3.0-RELEASE?

> > Will elf/ld be modified to behave like other regular ld (or aout/ld)
> > not trying to resolve the unused symbols?
>
> No, because it's a _bug_ that the a.out linker doesn't complain about
> those undefined symbols.  Shared libraries are fundamentally different
> from archive libraries.  With an archive library, the linker only
> loads those members (.o files) that are actually used.  But a shared
> library is monolithic.  You either load all of it or you load none
> of it.  That means you aren't allowed to have undefined symbols at
> link time, even from portions of the shared library that you're not
> actually using.  Again, reporting such errors is the norm for linkers
> on systems that have shared libraries.  Our old a.out linker is simply
> buggy.  I should add that we've gotten a lot of complaints about that
> particular bug.  So no, I'm not going to add the same bug to our ELF
> linker.

I would like to restate this issue. As we discussed yesterday, you mentioned
this tool/util is same as Linue uses. I am carefully tested this issue on
a following Linux system:

 Linux 2000.lbl.gov 2.0.31 #1 Sun Nov 9 21:45:23 EST 1997 i686 unknown

The ld works exactly as other platforms, like Solaris (ELF), SunOS4 (not ELF),
FreeBSD 2.x (aout), without such a problem.	If you argue this is aout bug,
I think the idea is wrong. All ELF system as I know, such as Solaris, Linux,
work are same as non-ELF system, except FreeBSD 3.0.	Therefore, it is
FreeBSD 3.0 elf problem. Unless you believe every body else is wrong.

I suggest that you may investigate this issue on different ELF systems to see
if you are willing to revise what in you mind, not adding a bug but fix a bug
in this ELF linker.

Thanks,

	-Jin