Date:      Mon, 09 Jun 1997 21:39:20 +0100
From:      Scott Crevier <scott@crevier.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Front Page error message

FreeBSD 2.2.1 and Apache 1.2b7.
Both are working just fine.

I know FP is not officially supported on FreeBSD but I've heard about ISPs
using it successfully. I'm installing the FP server extensions to a virtual
host per the instructions at:

http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport/UnixInstall.html and
http://www.microsoft.com/frontpage/wpp/kit/unixinstall.htm

I ran the following command:

./fp_install -host www.frozentundra.com -web / -user crevier

All looked well until it got to step 14. Here's the output from there:

----[begin]----
Step 14: Set Security For The Web Administrator (using fpsrvadm.exe)

Starting security, port: www.frozentundra.com:80, web:
"/usr/local/www/html"

Version: 2.0.2.1125
Created: 05 Jun 1997 00:03:14 CDT
Invalid character in web name "/usr/local/www/html": (0x2f).
chown: /usr/www/crevier/tundra/_vti_pvt/access.cnf: No such file or
directory
chown: /usr/www/crevier/tundra/_vti_pvt/service.grp: No such file or
directory
chown: /usr/www/crevier/tundra/_vti_pvt/service.pwd: No such file or
directory

         Remember to restart the server so that the new ScriptAlias
directives take effect.

         Installation Complete.
----[end]----

There's a FAQ at http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport/faq2.htm that mentions this
message but the solution it suggests is to put quotes around certain
options. This does not work; I still get the same message.

I tried running just the 'fp_install' command by itself. It prompted me for
the needed info as I expected and I still got the same error message.

I looked in the fp_install perl script. I tracked down the error as being
caused by the script running the following command (I printed it before
running it):

fpsrvadm.exe -o security -p www.frozentundra.com:80 -w www.frozentundra.com
-u crevier -pw hhh -i *.*.*.*

Quite honestly, I don't know what is expected by the -web option to the
'fp_install' command. The install instructions say something about a web
name, but I have no idea what a web name is. I know my server root, my
domain names, and pretty much everything else about the web site; I just
don't know what a web name is.

No matter what I try, I keep getting the exact same error message.

'Invalid character in web name "/usr/local/www/html": (0x2f).'

I suspect that this error has something to do with the errors that follow
it regarding no such file, but I don't know that for sure. The path given
in the message is the path to the root directory of the main web site on
this server. I figured out that the '0x2f' indicates that it does not like
a slash character, however, I'm not sure.

Again, the system and web server are running just fine. I just cannot get
FP to install properly and I'd appreciate any assistance I could get.

Thanks.

Scott M. Crevier <scott@crevier.org>
Webmaster Resources:  http://www.crevier.org
Web Publishing Info:  http://www.smcnet.com